Ensemble & Communications Manager
Position type: Salaried Employee, Half-time
To apply: Send cover letter and resume to email@example.com with subject line “ECM application” by Monday, April 17, 2017
Purpose of this position: Work with a small, highly motivated team of intelligent, creative people in a passion-driven arts environment with a deep commitment to artistic expression, community, and social justice. Ragged Wing Ensemble is a group of multidisciplinary artists creating and presenting original work, and The Flight Deck is the shared performance venue that they operate in downtown Oakland. The Ensemble & Communications Manager is responsible for both internal and external management, communication and messaging. The ideal candidate is flexible, creative, organized, self-motivated, and ready to invest in real relationships with colleagues and peers.
- Schedule, manage and acquire materials for ensemble trainings, meetings and retreats
- Collaborate with Artistic Director and Assistant Artistic Director in planning and leading trainings, and documenting them
- Identify project participation from core and associate artists, managing schedules & conflicts from all artists in the company
- Communicate regularly with all artistic bodies, keeping all artists informed, and following up with artists who miss sessions
- Manage health of the company, checking in with members and keeping an eye on morale, work ethic and satisfaction, including holding periodic one-on-one meetings and being available for office hours and phone calls.
- Manage the application and invitation process for new artists and the exiting process for departing artists
- Assist Artistic Director with artist recruitment and managing new relationships
- Assist in designing the season schedule and time-lines for shows and trainings, including space scheduling
- Support Production Manager in hiring the design/production teams for Ragged Wing shows, posting, interviewing and contracting show staff
- Develop and implement marketing strategies for both the company and the venue, including social media strategy
- Create and implement marketing campaigns for The Flight Deck venue
- Manage and maintain the org’s database (currently Vendini) and manage all data related to the organization (ie. audience surveys, TRG Arts, etc.)
- Draft content (both written and visual) for external communications
- Create and edit images using basic graphic design and image manipulation techniques
- Coordinate the design, printing, and distribution of marketing materials such as postcards, posters, and programs
- Submit event listings
- Create and send eBlasts for upcoming events, shows, fundraising drives, etc. using a mass emailer
- Create and manage ads and ad campaigns
- Organize and execute mass mailings (physical)
- Maintain Ragged Wing website and keep it up-to-date
- Manage and curating the Flight Deck’s front window & postcard racks
- Maintain a relationship with Theater Bay Area and other networks such as NET
- Support Executive Director with general admin for the organization
- Support Box Office Manager in managing ticketing, front of house, and concessions.
Management – Supervise the following contractors:
- Ensemble of Artists
- Social Media Manager
- Graphic Designers
- Documentation team: Photographer & Videographer
- Box Office Manager
- Interns & Volunteers
- Management & Supervision: Able to assess people’s competencies, set expectations, communicate clearly, manage contracts, support people and hold them accountable.
- Project Management: Good organizational skills and attention to detail, delegation, setting and managing deadlines, seeing the overview of a project and breaking it down into manageable chunks, looking two steps ahead of team.
- Communication: strong verbal, written and visual communication skills, able to handle and mediate conflict, friendly and trustworthy.
- Software: G Suite (docs, drive, calendar, etc), Excel, WordPress, basic HTML, Vendini or other CRM software, Flickr, Lightroom or other image editing software, Swift Publisher or other desktop publishing software. Ideally proficient in Photoshop and/or InDesign. Will train in more esoteric software.
- Visual: At least intermediate layout and visual design skills. Photography skills a plus.
- Writing: Excellent writing, editing and proofreading skills.
- Professional: respond in a timely fashion to emails and phone calls, maintain an agreed-upon schedule, function as part of a team.
- Physical: Ideally can lift forty pounds.
Education and Experience: BA or BS preferable but will consider candidates with other relevant experience. At last 3 years working in professional theater or similar setting. Both artistic and management experience required.
Job Setting: Position is roughly 50/50 remote/onsite; candidate must be available to spend the equivalent of one full day a week in the office for weekly staff meetings and check-ins, as well as be prepared to run off-site errands. Periodic evening and weekend hours. Flexible schedule.